I needed to bake…. I wanted to bake…. and I had a craving for Birds Nest Cookies. So I went looking at recipe’s and then blended a few to come up with my own!
Here is my easy recipe – it makes about 2 doz – depending on size of cookie! LOL! I only got 20!
- Preheat oven to 350º and lightly grease cookie sheet
- before starting dough finely chop 1 cup walnuts and place into a bowl
- in a small bowl beat one egg with 1 tbsp. of milk
- place walnuts and egg mixture to the side until the dough is formed
- 1 cup soft butter
- 2/3 cup demara brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- cream butter, sugar and vanilla together until soft
- add 2 cups unbleached flour to creamed mixture and mix until soft dough forms
- roll into approx. 1 inch balls
- dip each ball into egg mixture and then roll in walnuts
- place on greased cooked sheet, approx. 1/2 inch apart; and form a well in the center of each cookie with your thumb
- spoon approx. 1/2 tsp jam into each well
Bake in 350º for 15 to 18 min – cool on sheet 5 min and then move to cooling rack.